Whether you’re redesigning your space entirely or simply looking to add a new piece to refresh the look, area rugs are a great way to make a statement. Choosing one can be a bit of a daunting task, though.
Our award-winning interior designers have compiled a list of essential tips to consider when it comes to finding the right area rug for your room.
- Measure the space: Start by measuring the dimensions of your room. This will help you determine the appropriate size for your area rug.
- Furniture placement: Consider the placement of your furniture. Ideally, all the legs of your main furniture pieces, like sofas and chairs, should be on the rug. This helps create a cohesive and visually appealing look.
- Room size: For smaller rooms, a smaller rug can work well, leaving some floor space exposed. In larger rooms, a larger rug can help anchor the space and make it feel more cohesive.
- Shape matters: Think about the shape of your room and furniture. Rectangular rugs generally work best in rectangular rooms, while round rugs can add visual interest to square or circular spaces.
- Balance and proportion: Aim for a rug that is proportionate to the size of your furniture and room. A rug that is too small can make the space feel disjointed, while a rug that is too large can overwhelm the room.
- Consider traffic flow: If you have high-traffic areas, like entryways or hallways, opt for durable rugs that can withstand the foot traffic.
Remember, these are just some general tips to get you started. Ultimately, the most important thing is to go with what feels right for your space and personal style!
If you’d like some assistance with selecting a rug for spaces throughout your home, visit our Showroom & Design Center in Elm Grove today! We’re happy to help.